First Day Covers with Bridges

 
     
 
This page shows some First-Day-Covers from different countries with Bridges as the subject.
 
 
     
 



 

 
 



 

Wakato Suspension Bridge in Japan.


Spanning the entrance to Dokai Bay in North Kyushu and linking the two cities of Wakamatsu and Tobata, The Wakato Suspension Bridge has been completed with a total cost of 5,100,000,000 yen in a time of four years and five months from the inception of its work in April 1958.
With its two-hinged stiffening trusses, its overall length of 2068 meters and its central suspended length of 680 meters, this bridge is the biggest of the type in the Orient and prides itself on the latest techniques that were employed in its construction.


To commemorate its open ing to traffic, a postage stamp has been issued at September 26, 1962. Denomination is 10 yen.
The design of cover and postage stamp is from Mr. Minoru Hisano, the engravements were done by Mr. Senkichi Mizutani.

 
 
 



 

 
 



 

The Friendship Bridge between Thailand and Laos.


The Friendship Bridge links Thailand and Laos across the Mekong River. It is a joint project between the governments of Australia, Thailand and Laos and is funded by the Australian International Development Assistance Bureau at a total cost of 42 million Australian Dollars.

Construction was carried out by John Holland Pty Ltd and Sinclair Knight Pty Ltd being responsible for construction supervision.
There has previously been no bridge across the Mekong and the Friendship Bridge will contribute substantially to the economic development of the region.
 

 
  This cover and the stamp were designed by Warren Crossett.  (text from Australian Post)  
 
 



 

 
 



 

The Forth Road Bridge in Scotland.


The Forth Road Bridge is a suspension bridge in east central Scotland. The bridge opened in 1964 and at the time was the largest suspension bridge in the world outside the USA. The bridge spans the Firth of Forth, connecting Edinburgh, at Queensferry, to Fife, at North Queensferry. It replaced a centuries-old ferry service to carry vehicular traffic, cyclists and pedestrians across the Forth; railway crossings are made by the nearby Forth Bridge, opened in 1890.
The Scottish Parliament voted to scrap tolls on the bridge from February 2008. By that time, the bridge was carrying traffic considerably in excess of its design capacity, and a parallel replacement was later built. On 5 September 2017, all traffic was transferred to the new Queensferry Crossing. This allowed the Forth Road Bridge to be closed for repairs and also for realignment work on the approach roads to enable its new role as a "public transport corridor"; it was re-opened, for buses, taxis, cyclists and pedestrians only, from 1 February 2018.
 

 
  The bridge can also be used for other traffic in special circumstances, such as roadworks on the Queensferry Crossing, as happened in late November 2017.
At its peak, the Forth Road Bridge carried 65,000 vehicles per day.

The final construction plan was accepted in February 1958 and work began in September of that year. Mott, Hay and Anderson and Freeman Fox and Partners carried out the design work and a joint venture of Sir William Arrol & Co., Cleveland Bridge & Engineering Company and Dorman Long constructed the bridge at a cost of 11.5 million; the total cost of the project including road connections and realignments was 19.5 million.
The resident design engineer was John Alexander King Hamilton FRSE (19001982).
(Text from Wikipedia, 2019)

 
 
 
 
     

 

     
 

Back to  Bridges on Stamps

 
     
 

Back to Start/Index